North York has 6 important museums:
Gibson House Museum
416-395-7432 Fax: 416-395-7442
5172 Yonge St., Toronto, M2N 5P6
(at Park Home Avenue, between Sheppard and Finch Avenue, just N of Mel Lastman Square, the Ford Theatre)
his elegant 1851 Georgian style farmhouse was built by the Gibson family in 1851. Scottish immigrant David Gibson was a land surveyor and mapped early Toronto and Ontario's wilderness for settlement. Participating in the Upper Canada Rebellion of 1837, he was forced to flee to the United States for 11 years. When they returned to York County, the Gibsons built this beautiful new home in a then- rural community. Guided tours offered. The museum provides education and community programs reflect ng daily farm life as it was in the mid-1800s, birthday parties, summer arts and heritage day camps, and Doors Open Toronto.
Open year-round Tuesday to Sunday Noon to 5 pm except as noted below. September closed, open holiday Mondays (Easter, Victoria, Canada, Simcoe, Thanksgiving) Noon-5 pm Closed on Mondays, Christmas Eve Day, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day, Good Friday. Regular Admission (plus GST): Adults $3.54, Senior (65 +) $2.12, Youth (13 -18 yrs.) $2.12, Child (2-12) $1.65, Holiday Admission (Mid November-December 2007 - includes GST): Adult $4.25, Senior (65 +) $2.75, Youth (13 -18 yrs.) $2.75, Child (2-12) $2.25
TTC: North York Centre station (Yonge/University subway line) and walk north on Yonge Street to Park Home Ave.
Holocaust Education and Memorial Centre of Toronto
4600 Bathurst St, Toronto, M2R 3V2
This museum is the Toronto Jewish community's memorial to the six million victims of the Holocaust during World War II, with memorabilia and pictures. A more positive perspective shows the life of Holocaust survivors in post-war Canada and Israel, and their triumph over inconceivable brutality, providing inspiration to the museum's visitors. The museum has guided tours and lectures, and special programs where students may meet survivors.
Ontario Science Centre
770 Don Mills Road, Toronto,M3C 1T3
The Ontario Science Centre houses an OMNIMAX Theatre, which presents a variety of IMAX films on science and nature, and showcases rotating exhibits, educational programs and special events. The centre is open seven days a week from 10 am-5 pm (Closed Dec 25).
Directions: Don Valley Parkway, north until Don Mills Road north or south to Wynford Drive west. Parking at the Ontario Science Centre is $8.00 per vehicle and is cash only.
TTC: Exit Eglinton station (Yonge Street subway) and take #34 Eglinton East bus to Don Mills Road, or exit Pape station (Bloor-Danforth subway) and take #25 Don Mills bus north to St. Dennis Drive.
[ More Ontario Science Centre photos... ]
Silverman Heritage Museum
3560 Bathurst St, North York, M6A 2E1
See an interesting collection of Judaic artifacts, including Torah crowns and pointers, menorahs and prayer books. There are also temporary displays focusing on particular Jewish holidays, Jewish art, and the history of Toronto's Jewish Community.
Toronto Aerospace Museum
416-638-6078 Fax: 416-638-5509
65 Carl Hall Rd, North York, M3K 2B6
(Parc Downsview Park, the former Canadian Forces Base Downsview)
Opened in 2000, learn about artifacts and full-size aircraft associated with the development of aviation and aerospace in the Toronto area. For more than 50 years, Downsview was an air force base and home for Canada's oldest air force squadron and other flying units. See the original shop equipment used by Canadian Aeroplanes to build 1,200 Curtiss JN-4 biplanes in 1917-18. See an Avro Lancaster X, FM104, built by Victory Aircraft at Malton during the war, which is being restored after 35 years as part of a Toronto waterfront war memorial. The museum is building a full-size replica of the magnificent Avro CF-105 Arrow supersonic interceptor, which first flew at Toronto's Malton Airport in 1958. The history of de Havilland Canada is depicted with photos, artifacts, and the last CS2F Tracker anti-submarine aircraft built at Downsview for the Royal Canadian Navy. Other exhibits include sport aircraft and trainers, piston engines and Toronto-made jet engines, and rare flight training simulators used in the 1940s and 1950s.
Open Wednesday, 10 am-8 pm; Thursday-Saturday, 10 am-4 pm; Sunday, Noon-4 pm; Holiday Mondays, 10 am-4 pm. Admission: Adults (+18) $8. Seniors (+60) $6, Students $5, Family $20, Children (under 6) Free. Group rates available.
Directions From #401 to Keele Street North exit. Turn right (east) on Sheppard Ave to the entrance of Downsview Park. Turn right into the park (onto John Drury Road) to Carl Hall Road. Turn left at Carl Hall and continue east over the railway tracks to the Museum, which is on your right hand side.
[ More Downsview Airport photos... ]
Zion Church Cultural Centre
416-392-6371 Fax: 416-392-6834
1650 Finch Avenue East
(North side of Finch Avenue East, one block east of Don Mills Road OR two blocks west of the Don Valley Parkway/404)
The Zion Primitive Methodist Church was built in 1873 by the Methodists of L'Amaroux, on land donated by early settler Henry Scrace. The Church and adjacent cemetery was acquired by the borough of North York in 1971, and in 1977 designated as a Heritage Site as an example of a typical rural church. The Church was restorated and mechanical systems updated in 1998. Please call for viewing and tour information.
The Zion Church Cultural Centre is available for rental seven days a week from 8:00 am to 10:30 pm, with some restrictions and exceptions. The Zion Church Cultural Centre features a 1600 sq. ft hall, small stage, an upright piano, kitchenette, washrooms, storage area, and gardens with seating area. The maximum capacity is 140 just seating, and 113 with seating and tables.
TTC: From Finch Station (Yonge line) take the #39 Finch East bus to Skymark Drive (one stop east of Don Mills Road) and walk across the street (north) to the Zion Church. From Broadview Station (Danforth line) take the #25 Don Mills bus to Finch Avenue East and walk one block east to the Zion Church
Directions: Take the Don Valley Parkway to Finch Avenue East exit; go west two blocks (past Seneca College), to Skymark Drive