The postwar boom created a need for a coordinated land use strategy and shared municipal services to make the region more efficient. In 1954, the City of Toronto joined a regional government known as Metropolitan Toronto, which included the immediately surrounding municipalities including Etobicoke, York, North York, East York and Scaborough. The metropolitan government managed cross-boundary services including highways, water and public transit.
Highway 401 was built with 16 lanes of traffic to speed cross-town automobile traffic, connecting to Windsor-Detroit in the west and Montreal to the east. The section of Highway 401 which traverses North York is the busiest section of freeway in North America, exceeding 400,000 vehicles per day.
While much of NorthYork retains a suburban feel, there was intense development along Yonge Street between Finch and Sheppard Avenues, coinciding with the extended route of the Toronto Transit Commission's Yonge-University Spadina subway line. This area to be suburban, resembling a smaller version of Toronto's downtown. The area has office towers around Yonge Street are home to the Canadian head offices of Cadbury Adams, Equifax, Lindt, McDonald's of Canada, Nestlé, Procter & Gamble, and Xerox.
In 1998, by the authority of the Province of Ontario, the 6 metropolitan municipal governments were dissolved and amalgamated into a single one, the current City of Toronto (colloquially, the "megacity").
More history of North York